WHICH PLACES WE VISIT
- Two out of six Holy Monasteries of Meteora
- Kalampaka (stop for rest and lunch in front of the magnificent view of Meteora)
THE EXCURSION TAKES PLACE
Every Wednesday and Sunday
STARTING POINTS AND DEPARTURE TIMES
- Starting point: White Tower (Entrance) | 08:00
- Stop 1: Makedonia Palace Hotel | 08:05
- Stop 2: Aristotelous Square & Egnatia Street (Venizelos Statue) | 08:15
- Stop 3: Capsis Hotel | 08:20
- Stop 4: The Met Hotel | 08:25
10 hours (6 hours on the road)
DESCRIPTION OF THE EXCURSION
We depart to Meteora with the Ammon Express bus
at 08:00 from the White Tower,
at 08:05 from the hotel Makedonia Palace,
at 08:15 from Aristotelous Square & Egnatia Street (at the statue of Venizelos),
at 08:20 from hotel Capsis and
at 08:25 from The Met Hotel
The distance is 230km and lasts approximately 3 hours. During our way, there is a 15’ stop for rest and coffee.
We reach Meteora around 12:30 and we visit two of the six in operation Holy Monasteries depending on the operating schedule of each Monastery.
- the women’s monastery of Agios Stefanos with the impressive wood-carved iconostasis and the magnificent view of the city of Kalampaka, the river Lithaios and the plain,
- the monastery of the Holy Trinity at the steepest rock of Meteora, through stairs cut through the stone,
- the women’s monastery of Rousanou with the extraordinary wall paintings of the small church, and the verdant path leading to it,
- the Varlaam monastery with the valuable surviving frescoes of the painter of icons Frangos Katelanos and, among others, the thirteen-ton wooden barrel,
- the monastery of the Transfiguration (Metamorphosis) of Christ, which is the largest monastery of Meteora, or
- the monastery of Saint Nicholas Anapafsas, with the frescoes of the famous painter of icons Theophanes the Cretan, which has a balcony that is a stone’s throw away from the huge rocks.
For your convenience, the bus stops in front of the entrance of the Holy Monasteries.
We make a stop to admire the panoramic view of the Holy Monasteries form up high.
Next, we enjoy Greek traditional lunch in the city of Kalampaka in front of the view of the astonishing Meteora.
We depart to Thessaloniki at around 15:30 where in our way back we make a last stop for coffee and rest. We are back at about 18:00 making the same stops as when we started.
THE PRICE OF THE EXCURSION (FROM 39.99€) INCLUDES
- Transportation to and from Meteora
- English-speaking trip attendant
- Basic travel insurance (during transportation)
- The visiting ticket to each monastery, which costs 3 euros per monastery for all visitors except those of Greek nationality and is paid directly at the entrance.
- The tour of the Meteora Holy Monasteries.
- The cost of the lunch at the restaurant
- Our trip attendant shall wear a clothing with the Ammon Express marking so that he will be recognisable easily
- You should be at the departure points 5’ before the time indicated in the schedule. The bus cannot remain at designated stops, except for boarding.
- The monasteries have strict dress rules prohibiting entry to male visitors wearing shorts and women visitors with sleeveless sweatshirts.
- The approach to the monasteries is achieved through stairs and requires comfortable footwear.
- Please be consistent with the exact appointment times specified by the AMMON EXPRESS trip attedant, so that the excursion to Meteora will remain unforgettable to all participants.
- We wish you a nice excursion and a lot of fun!
- Don’t forget to share pictures and comments about your experience in the excursion.
For more information please visit our website ammonexpress.gr